Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Failed Lap Band

"After 6 years, for every failed gastric bypass, there were 4 failed lap bands (with failure determined by BMI greater than 35 or reversal of the procedure). For every 1 long-term bypass complication there were 2 lap band complications, and for every 1 re-operation of a bypassed patient, there were 2 of lap banded ones."

This is from here http://www.weightymatters.ca/2012/01/gastric-bypasses-destroy-lap-bands-in.html

So I have a failed lap band ....  yep its true ... I can not get restriction ... I can not find that balance 5.5cc is too loose and 5.6cc is too tight...  Is it me ... Am I the failure.. or is the bank not the right fit for me...

So very devastated to be heading towards 2 years post banding and still have a BMI above 35 ...

I have been soul searching mixing it up.. exercising ...I feel like I am a merry-go-round ... I am either starving or pbing... I chuck everyday ... even on shakes and mushies...

I have booked a second opinion  with another surgeon but can't get in till April 18th ....

I need to gather myself up and make a plan until then... I need my life back.. I need my self esteem back I need to feel ok in my own skin...  Sob sob sob

I will keep blogging the progress as I need an outlet so badly and feel like such a failure .... I am so embarrassed ..




3 comments:

Lap Band Gal said...

Sorry to hear that you're having some struggles with the band.

Did you see my post yesterday? It's about this exact issue.

Are you tracking your food intake and exercising at least 30 mins a day? It's the necessary evil that comes with the band to be successful.

I can't wait to hear what other surgery you have been considering. Please keep us updated.

Sending you big {{HUGS}} :)

CeeJay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CeeJay said...

So sorry you are struggling! I went through a too tight, too loose time with my band. I kept thinking that the band was going to be the magic bullet. It is a great tool that helps, but you still need to work a program. Eating right, exercising and also being emotionally healthy and in control of your life. Don't give up on the band just yet! Think of how you can help that band of yours work better. YOU ARE WORTH IT!!!